Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tiramisu lesson learned

Yesterday we had my partner Kirk's Aunt Jenny and Uncle Les over for a barbecue. I thought - excellent - great opportunity to whip up my tiramisu. Last Christmas was the last time I made it, and I noticed that it curdled ever so slightly, but not really enough to affect the taste. Well yesterday it curdled big time, rendering it inedible. Argh! Luckily Jenny (a very generous lady - she doesn't do food at family gatherings by halves) had whipped up a plum cake and a rather scrumptious vanilla slice, this recipe to be precise.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/12569/vanilla+slice+with+passionfruit+icing

So my tiramisu wasn't required, but I still wanted to get to the bottom of why it had curdled. Aaaaah, Google, my old friend! A search of "tiramisu curdles" gave me my answer - my ingredients all needed to be at room temp, not straight out of the fridge. Oops! So it ended up in the bin this morning, which is always a sad thing to see. (I did give it a taste before disposing of it - flavours were spot on, texture was icky!) However when this dessert works, it REALLY works - it's utterly divine. Give it a whirl.

Tiramisu
• 3 eggs (at room temperature)
• 6 tablespoons of caster sugar
• 250g mascarpone cheese (at room temperature)
• 200 ml pure cream (at room temperature)
• 1 pkt sponge finger biscuits
• 200ml espresso coffee
• 200ml sweet sherry (marsala)
• Cocoa powder
Separate eggs into 2 bowls (yolks and whites). Beat egg whites until stiff then beat in 3½ tabs of sugar until stiff and glossy.
Beat egg yolks and remaining 2½ tabs of sugar. In another bowl, beat cheese briefly and gradually add cream till smooth. Fold cream and cheese into the egg yolk mixture, then mix everything together.
Split the sponge fingers in half lengthways with a sharp knife. Mix the coffee and marsala together. Cover the bottom of a serving dish with a layer of egg and cream mixture. Layer with sponge fingers dipped in coffee and sherry and cover with another layer of cream (you should get about 4 layers of cream). Repeat. Refrigerate for 4 hours and sprinkle top with sifted cocoa just before serving. MMMMMMMMMMmy favourite!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogland, and thanks for the recipes - yummo! Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the salted caramel chocolate slice! Tomorrows post has another salted caramel recipe ~ cheesecake this time ~ I am a bit addicted to this flavour at the moment!! Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with all my ingredients at room temperature, my tiramisu cream curdled … badly. I do like the idea of beating the cheese separately and adding in the egg yolk mixture little by little. Will have to try next time.

    ReplyDelete